Saturday, June 18, 2011

{operation: baby food}



i've loved this adventure of discovering how to make my own baby food! it's fantastic. here's what i do:


 I boil whatever veggie or fruit I am giving them, then i freeze it in ice trays. Once frozen, I put it in ziplock baggies. Makes it super easy as well as accurate when it's time to feed them. I know they each get X amount of  "cubes"... 

i was out of their food a couple days ago, so it was time to make more. i boiled squash and sweet potatoes. i also boiled organic eggs. {I just introduced them to boiled organic egg yolk this week, for a good source of protein.} i separated the egg yolk from the whites, and saved the whites for my hubby. the yokes i set aside to mix into the baby food. after the food was all done boiling, i used my trusty magic bullet to purée all the food together. {i kept the squash and potatoes separate from each other, but added the boiled yolks, and a little water, to each mixure.}



thanks to my trusty iPhone, i documented it for your viewing enjoyment. :}






{tonight's "dinner" defrosting. well at least for half of us. :}

{these little mesh bags are FAN-frggin-TASTIC! i crush up a "cube" of their frozen food, and then it's ready for them to eat, without me worrying about them choking. genius!!}


 I also juice a lot for my babes, as well as for myself and my hubby. Making homemade juice obviously contains no added sugars, only natural fruit sugars. The reason i find it's beneficial to juice is because it breaks down the fruits and veggies and removes the fiber, which makes it easier for their bodies (and ours! :) to digest. 


I'm not planning to make a habit of giving them too many processed food items or sugars even after the big first year bday. The only processed thing they've had is organic brown rice cereal.
I figure they will have their whole lives to eat whatever they want, so I want to give them the best nutrition I can when they're young. There's tons of different opinions out there, and I am no expert on what is "right or wrong" to give your babes, but this is working really well for us! 


{this nifty contraption is an apple corer from Pampered Chef. since the apple seeds tend to hold in toxins, i use this guy to remove any and all seeds, without having to cut up the whole apple. you can purchase one for yourself from my rad sister by clicking here!

{washing in vinegar to remove any dirt and grime} 

{ready, set, JUICE!}

{after i finish juicing, i make a yummy soup out of the pulp. haha...just kidding. 
this is for the dogs. they freaking LOVE it! they come BOUNDING into the kitchen as soon as they hear me pull out the peeler, and then HOVER the entire juicing process until we get to this part:


yeah, they love this stuff}

{and some is set aside for our iguana}


{i didn't add any celery to my babies juice yet, so the canning jars have the celery added in, for hubby and i. here's what i did with the rest:

i froze it in ice cube trays so that it is a cinch to pull out, plop in a bottle, defrost, dilute, and serve! :}

{of course i had to have a glass after all that hard work! :}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
our ladies night out at jake's coffee shop last thursday evening was fab! so much excitement from the vendors, and visitors. i, myself had an absolutely marvelous time! we are all putting our heads together to come up with a fun once a month event to put on...i'm so excited!

here's a couple pictures:


my Thirty-One table

i was so proud of these hand made flowers! i made them earlier that day, and had to show them off! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the other day i was typing an email, and as ALWAYS seems to happen to me, i wrote, "i am attaching a file for you to look at", but of course i DIDN'T remember to attach it before pressing "send".

so what does my "smatter than me" gmail do? why it grew a brain and a conscience, and thoughtfully alerted me with this message:

Did you mean to attach files?
You wrote "I've attached" in your message, but there are no files attached.  Send anyway?

like the child that i am, i tried it 2 or 3 {ish :} more times before attaching the file, out of pure curiosity and awe! it NEVER would let me send, no matter how many times i pressed "send". i first had to either click "send anyway" {which i did NOT do}, or {like i finally did, once i was done goofing around} go back and add the file that caused such a ruckus. oh gmail, i love you!

a few days ago i bought myself a paper cutter. i am embarrassed to admit just how completely stoked i am over my new little paper cutter. to my defense, i literally am the world's WORST "free hand" paper cutter. literally. this new gadget is marvelous! it even has a SCORING BLADE! i can't believe i am admitting this, but i had to consult my friend Google again...i had NO CLUE what a scoring blade was! i'm thrilled to learn what it's useful for!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in honor of father's day, a couple of my favorite childhood "daddy and me" memories . . . 


every time i had a loose tooth, i would wait in excited anticipation for my dad to get home from work. then he and i would choose which one {usually i was too freaked} would yank it out {because i have absolutely NO PATIENCE at all whatsoever, so as soon as i felt it budge the TINIEST bit, it HAD TO COME OUT!}!  after the extraction, i would head off to bed, feeling a little wiser {haha}, and awaiting the "tooth fairy"! dad was always so excited for me when i would lose another tooth!


he worked on a construction sight. some nights he would have to work all through the night. occasionally my sisters and i would have the exciting honor of going with him to the job sight, and camping out in the car, while he worked. i remember how stoked dad was to have his girls with him. he would spoil us with the best food ever on those trips. we always looked forward to those times with great anticipation!


one sunday after church, he took me and one of my sisters to work with him, and let us "drive" one of those MONGO cranes commonly found on construction sights. this was quite the bragging story for me growing up . . . "well, i've driven a HUUUUUGE crane before!" said the 7 year old, to another 7 year old, who was green with envy. :}


i love you, Dad!! happy Dad's day!


and happy father's day weekend, everyone!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love getting your feedback! : }